* Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
* Copy the award and place it in your blog.
* Link the person who nominated you for this award.
* Tell us 7 interesting things about you.
* Nominate 7 bloggers.
* Post the links to the 7 bloggers you nominate.
7 (vaguely) Interesting things about me:
1. My most crippling fear is of a window without curtains at night – I absolutely hate it!! I think it stems from watching too many horror movies because my fear is that I will see a face at the window. JourneyMan thinks this is hilarious though gets frustrated at my hysterical demands to close the curtains – even if only a crack is open. Last year when we went to stay in the country for a long weekend – I remember nearly having a heart attack when I went to the toilet and the curtains weren’t closed on the window – too scary!
2. I was a good swimmer when I was a youngster. When I was in grade 3 I competed against the grade 6 kids at my school and won. I love the water and feel that it is really healing to me. So much so that despite the fact that I am not supposed to be having baths, I have been having them (though they are quite cool) because it just makes me feel a lot better.
3. I have seen four of the seven natural wonders of the world, including the Great Barrier Reef, the Grand Canyon, Mount Everest and Victoria Falls. I nearly died after climbing up to Everest Base camp as I had altitude sickness and our guides were pushing us to go further and further – it was only because my bestie put her foot down and made them take us back that I am here today. To make this trip worse, two weeks after I got back I was hospitalised for a blood clot in my lung, which had collapsed, I could barely breathe.
4. I luuuuurrrve books with a passion. I can read them over and over again. At the moment I am re-reading The Lord of the Rings – it is different every time and I get something new out of it at each new reading. I have so many well worn favourites, they are like old friends that I go and see and enjoy their company. Instead of a painted feature wall in our loungeroom we have a wall of uniformed shelves of books that JourneyMan put up for me – it makes me happy just to look at it.
5. I am a lifeguard and a swimming teacher. I worked as a lifeguard at an indoor water slide at a hotel in Banff, Canada. I taught swimming lessons to children when I was working at an indoor pool at a cross country ski resort in Colorado. I’ve worked behind a bar in London and as a cleaner at a hotel. I have worked as a receptionist at a youth hostel in Las Vegas.
6. I have realised that when I am really scared that I freeze and cannot move a muscle. I found this out on a trip to Africa when I was in a tent camping by a river and a hippo came and pushed up against my tent in the middle of the night. Hippo’s can’t see very well but when it felt the tent it trundled off. I can tell you, lying on your back looking up at the bulk of a hippo – it looked 10 stories high!
7. I am a noisy sleeper, I talk in my sleep, laugh in my sleep, walk in my sleep (though I haven’t done that for awhile) and I grind my teeth. On a trip from the north of Australia back home to our city in the south, my bestie and I had stopped off in a motel overnight. I had a dream that the room was on fire but was startled awake by screaming. I said to the bestie ‘did you hear that screaming?’ – she responded ‘yes, it was you, you dickhead, you nearly gave me a heart attack!’
Here are my 7 nominees:
Tireegal at Happy Go Lucky
Jill at All Aboard the Pity Boat
Circus Princess at Circus Children
Deaga99 at Are we There Yet
Wifey at Journey through Infertility and TTC
Miss Tori at The Winding Road to Parenthood