Contact Me

If you would like more information on the Thai clinic that we have used or you would like to consult privately with us (we can help coordinate your cycle with the Thai clinic), please contact us at:

donoreggsjourney@gmail.com

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Nature Vs Nurture

This has been on my mind alot lately. Not in any huge way (donor genetics vs my nurturing) but in a thankful, wondering type way.

So what do I mean? Firstly, let me touch wood because I am superstitious and I don't want anything good changing. Okay, wood has been touched. JBB is super dooper easy going. When it is his time to go to bed (he shows me by yawning, and his eyes glazing over), I wrap him up, he sucks on his dummy for about a minute and then he is in snoozeland. When he wakes up in the middle of the night (very rarely - usually only if he is cold), he doesn't bellow at the top of his lungs, he just starts chatting.

If he does cry - he definitely is telling me something, he is hungry, he is hurt, his nappy needs to be changed or he is tired but really, he doesn't cry a great deal. He is generally a pretty serious fellow though and you really have to be entertaining for him to crack a smile or give a giggle. He is completely curious about everything that goes on around him and especially if we go out, he does not like to nap cos he doesn't like to miss anything.

So, I guess I have been wondering - was he just born a cruisey type of little dot or have I done something to help him along that way? The main things that I feel that I bring to the table are:

1. Attentiveness - I am always looking out for what makes him happy, what he likes, what he doesn't like, play with him when he wants to and give him time on his own when he needs it. I give him plenty of hugs, I talk and sing to him as much as possible and I (for the most part) let him dictate how the day will go.

2. Routine - certainly our night routine is down pat, he has a bath with me, his dad dries him off and reads his bedtime stories and then I wrap and settle him for bed. Our days are a little more changeable but he is falling in to a pretty consistent routine.

3. Love & gratitude - there are not enough words to describe how much I love this little mite - every day since he has been in my life has been my best day. My Auntie was holding JBB on Friday and she said that she looked at him and her heart turned over - I know exactly what she meant, I have been brought to tears on many, many occasions since he came into our lives. Some days, JourneyMan and I look at each other wonderingly and talk about how lucky we are.

This is all just conjecture though - in my heart of hearts, I pretty much know that JBB was born a beautifully natured child and all I can hope is that I can nurture his innate gifts into fruition.

He is the gift of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of it will have to do with you, especially the time spent in your womb. While he might not be your egg, he still received all of his stress/relaxation/etc signals from you. I think there will be things here and there that are nature, such as a little quark here and there.

    Those are just my thoughts though. I could be completely wrong. Either way, he has got two awesome parents who love him with every fiber of their being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelle has a great point that I believe is true, JBB has been with you from a cellular stage and been influenced by everything you've been through and felt. Sounds like he's a well balanced, much loved, very happy little guy :)

    ReplyDelete