Contact Me

If you would like more information on the Thai clinic that we have used or you would like to consult privately with us (we can help coordinate your cycle with the Thai clinic), please contact us at:

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Another Complication

So, I have now it looks like I have obstetric cohlestasis which is a disfunction of the liver due to the plethora of hormones in the body during pregnancy.  Apparently the body dumps bile salts into the blood stream and this can cause unbearable itching and dangers to the placenta and baby.  It hasn't been confirmed 100% at this point but I have been put on the medication as a precaution.  Let me tell you, the itching is absolutely unbearable but even worse is the thought that this could be affecting Boo2.  I have gone back to the early days of out and out panic.  

It seems that the main risk to the baby occurs if the baby goes to term - one of the treatment protocols for this cohlestasis is to deliver the baby before 38 weeks so it looks like the Ceasar date will be brought forward. 

I feel absolutely paralysed by fear at the moment and the thought that I still need to wait until Thursday to see the doctor again (my OB is away at the moment so I am seeing the fill in Doc who I like very much but I need my OB, I trust him and his judgement implicitly).  Every day is an eternity right now and whilst I can feel Boo2 kicking, I feel good - if he goes to sleep for too long and I haven't felt him kicking for awhile, I start to panic.  Thankfully I still have the heart rate doppler and check that he is okay.

My biggest fear at the moment is that the baby may be better off out of my body rather than in - the odds of seeing him happy and healthy seem to be diminishing before my eyes.  I don't want to let him down, I want him to keep cooking away in safety but I am in doubt that I am providing that safe environment for him any more.  I don't want to fail him, JBB and JourneyMan.

One day at a time, I guess.  I am praying that my little boy will be okay.


  1. Oh my dear girl! I'm so sorry. This is so hard, I know. I don't know how many weeks you are so it's hard to know what's best. I hope and pray the meds will work and you can get to a safe place where Boo2 can come safely, if a little early. Big hugs, my friend!

  2. Ok I just looked at your blog on the web instead of mobile. So you're 34 weeks. Do they know how big Boo2 is and if he could come out sooner rather than later? So sorry you are dealing with this!

  3. You poor soul! It's just been one thing after another. I suppose at least you are 34 weeks now and even if, God Forbid, they had to get Boo2 out today, the chances are he'd be absolutely fine. That number is stuck in my head as the obs and gynae triage doc I saw when I had a wee bit of bleeding in the 2nd tri told me to make it to 34 wks because at that point, with all the advances in neonatal care, you're pretty much home and dry. But you're bound to be anxious - and driven mad with the itching - worse than pain in my book! Hugs.

  4. Oh no! As soon as I saw the title my heart dropped. I was so hoping you could get through the last few weeks of your pregnancy smoothly. I'm praying that it isn't as bad as you might think and that you make it as far as possible with this little one. I agree with everyone else though, you've made it to 34 weeks which is wonderful and most likely, if Boo2 were born sooner then later, all would be well. Go easy on yourself. You've done all you can. Sadly our bodies aren't always working with us. Hang in there.

  5. I am so sorry! Praying for you little Boo2. Hugs!!